Over another Hump

Saturday, September 17, 2005

After the Ashes.

Well the cricket is over and we lost the Ashes. But what a great boost the series was for the game. It had me on the edge of my seat every night. Wasn’t even game to leave the room in case I missed something or caused the wind to blow the wrong way and make the ball fall short. (You never know what strange air currents occur.)
Next year we will try to reclaim the precious urn, I hope the games will be as close. For now I am grateful to be getting my full quota of sleep. And again have the energy to do my chores.
At least next year the games will be in our day light - chores will be put on hold but I will have my sleep.
We take our cricket seriously here. Below is a cutting from the local paper. The match played was a scene direct from a Russel Drysdale painting and was great fun.

We Won!
The Torrens Creek v Pentland Fire Brigades cricket match was held in ideal conditions. The unique ground, ant mounds and all was a scene of fierce competition as the two teams tried to win this inaugural game. Although the proceeds were to be divided between the two fire teams Pentland kindly donated their half back to Torrens Creek brigade to help the beginners build up their funds. Much appreciated, guys!Honours went to the Torrens Creek Tigers as they walked away with the impressive trophy donated by J. Hill of “Oakley”.The day was a fun family day, although competition was hot. The children of all ages enjoyed a Lolly Drop from the air and the “grown-ups” pitted their strength against each other in the tug-o-war. This was also won by Torrens Creek. It is proposed that this will be an annual event between the local fire brigades. Congratulations to all who made this day such an enjoyable one.

Another fun day is planned for this season but dates have not yet been decided. It all depends on the mustering ... We will try to advertise more widely so our tourists can join in the fun.

Country Living.

The pumps have failed,
no water here,
routine’s all thrown out.
Monday washing won’t get done,
nor dishes, I’ve no doubt.

No washed floors,nor lush green lawns –
my blooming garden’s dead –
I’ll settle for a long hot bath
before I go to bed.

Stoics, we overcome
complications
of this inland drought.
But our afternoon’s shot to hell –
the cricket’s been rained out.

8 Comments:

  • Really nice blog. Keep it up.

    I found this website that is on how to drink at clubs and still drive safely .

    With everyone looking to have fun, any information on how to drink at clubs and still drive safely is PRICELESS. Imagine giving someone you love the opportunity to LIVE by giving them the proper stuff on how to drink at clubs and still drive safely TODAY.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:31 PM  

  • Hi Frances,
    You have been nominated for featured Friendless site of the week. I hope you will come and visit my site on Friendly Friday to see if you are the one.

    By Blogger Carol, at 6:49 PM  

  • Hi Frances,

    I came here this morning from Carol' Friendly Friday's Band. Is it Friday in Australia? I loved reading about your summer preparations on the other side of the world. We're sliding into autumn here. I will visit again to read your poems and see more of your sister's paintings.

    mp

    By Blogger mompoet, at 6:44 AM  

  • Hi Frances! I love your name, and the poem. Coming with the rest of the band. I play the accordian.

    By Blogger Raehan, at 7:51 PM  

  • Hi! I`m with the band as a flag bearer. Reading your blog is like a mini vacation. Your writing is so descriptive and vivid. I will enjoy reading more of your blog.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:06 PM  

  • Hi Frances,
    I hope you will consider signing up for the Friends of the Friendless Marching Band. All you have to do is leave another comment for me telling me which instrument you would like to play. We meet on Friendly Fridays to go visiting friendless sites.

    By Blogger Carol, at 12:26 AM  

  • Like the Country Living poem Frances. Great twist of humor at the ending.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:32 PM  

  • This such a very good poem, easy on the tongue and ears. You set it up and end it beautifully.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home