Over another Hump

Sunday, August 21, 2005

A Dragon's Visit -2003

When we were children we lived in a remote farm in the Strathbogie Ranges of Victoria. Fire was always a hazard during the hot summer months. One year my father and uncle were called to fight a fire burning along the ridges near our property. At home we children waited with our mother, fearful and watching as the fire seemed to be gaining ground. This poem is a memory of that day. The painting, by my sister Sandra D. Wilson, arrived last night. I am proud of her talent and love the opportunity to display it. I intend to feature more as I progress with the intricacies of blogging.


A dragon came up to my door
his fiery breath was rank;
I trembled, awed by what I saw,
as on my knees I sank.

I saw his army claim the ridge,
devour the grassy land,
saw the wanton carnage
caused by that savage band.


A sullen sky gave no respite
to the wildlife fleeing past,
defeated by the monster's might
then killed with furnace blast.

The parched land had no chance
against this fearsome foe;
the dragon did a macabre dance -
manic darting to and fro.

When all hope had faded
Nature took a healing hand;
the hot north wind abated,
turned south and saved our land.

2 Comments:

  • Yeahh!!I love it I had forgotten that episode. This poem brought it all back

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:05 PM  

  • love this poem; nicely done.

    By Blogger jrgatpolintanmd, at 8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home