Over another Hump

Sunday, July 03, 2005

Romance of a Stone

Time in My Hands. (2.06.05)

The stone turned under my foot.
I kicked it away
then glnaced at it,
noted its shape and texture;
stratified, worn smooth.
I retrieved it to save a window,
placed it in a pot
then forgot it.


I found the stone again
after it skulked a year in that pot.
My curious fingers
turned it over
as I tried to remember
when I had found it,
why I had kept it.

Under a cleansing tap
an image emerged in the strata:
brow, mouth, nose,
jaw and eye socket
of a small dionsaur.
Not a stone,but aeons,
I held in my hands.

This week we go to Townsville to have the stone examined by experts. We live in a dinosaur rich area so I should not be so surprised that I kicked this one up in our back yard.

1 Comments:

  • Time is such an odd thing, it's strange to think of all the people who have come before us and all the people who will come after us. The water that George Washington drank is the same water that runs through the kitchen sink.

    By Blogger Sobeit, at 5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home